Monday, February 6, 2012

Cell-phone in Africa

Before I came to Africa, I wondered if there were cell-phones in Africa? The first country that I went to in Africa was Niger. Niger is one of the poorest countries in the world. I heard that many people there live with less than 1 USD per day. I couldn't imagine how life is there. Despite my concern,in Niger, I found everybody has cell-phones. Though they are poor, they have one. In Africa, they haven't a regular phone network, I mean, wire-networks for telephones. In developed countries, we have telephones in each house and office. But in Africa, only "cell-phones" are telephones.

All calls should be pre-paid in Africa. We should buy coupon tickets for calls and enter the number. So, telephone companies can avoid unpaid customers. I think this is a good system here. And the cell-phone have torch functions. It's very convinient here because electricity stops everyday. In the dark, it helps us. Of course, in developed countries, we don't need this function.

We can see NOKIA, SUMSUNG, Sony Ericson and some Chinese model cell-phone. Even BlackBerry is also available. I saw iPhone in a market in Niger, but it was fake. African people enjoy chatting with their friends, radio, music, movies and taking photos with their cell-phone like us. I've never imagined it. The communication industry is developping even in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment