Friday, January 27, 2012

Zambian Herbal Medicine



I met a woman who sells dried herbs in a market. She sells dried and powdered garlic, parsley, cinnamon, and rosemary. I asked her if she has ginger. I want to use it for cooking.
She picked up a small plastic packet from a box. It is powdered ginger indicated as "Herbal Medicine".
It's for, quote; disorder of the digestive system, rheumatism, pulmonary, allergic, skin condition, colds, influenza, sore throats, sinusitis and boils.

In Japan, Chinese herbal medicine is popular. According to their theory, ginger works for those symptoms. But even though we don't have any health problems, we use ginger daily for cooking. That woman said, in Zambia, they use it only when they are sick. I bought it. It was 2USD.
I made ginger tea with that powder and tasted it. It was just the same like that in Japan.Ginger is a very nice spice for our health and beauty. And in my village we can't find whole ginger. I'll use that powder and when I finish it, buy another packet.

She also has other medicines for children's cough and men's impotence and so on. They seem like several kinds of herb that have been mixed. I found a packet, "SUPER LADY". She said it works for cramps and makes our body warm.
I'm not sure if African herbal medicine can be relied on like Chinese herbal medicine. But someday, I want to try "SUPER LADY". I hope it'll work.

No comments:

Post a Comment