Monday, January 23, 2012

Communication problem with patients

Now, my malnourished baby in a ward is getting well. Good. These days I have spent almost the whole day at the clinic. I prepared milk for him every 2 hours and observed him while he was drinking it. After his grandmother stopped giving the other foods to him, his diarrhea also stopped. Now his condition is stabilized. I'm going to change the milk to a more high-energy and high-protein one tomorrow. I hope his weight will increase.

We admitted two new babies in the ward. They're also malnourished. Unfortunately, their parents can't understand English. Today I asked them to bring their babies to weigh them but they didn't understand what I said. A woman who was near us interpreted me.

In Zambia, their public language is English. Most staff in our clinic can speak it. Our clinic is founded by a missionary organization from the States. In the same area, there is one secondary school, one college and two orphanages. Some Americans live here. And volunteers from western countries always come here throughout the year. People here are used to western people and their language. But some patients don't speak english. Only their local language.

My friend, another Japanese volunteer, is working at a clinic in a town near my village. Her situation is tougher than mine. Staff there don't speak English. Because that isn't a misson's clinic. That is a government one. Good communication is necessary for good treatment. We should manage this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment